Cherokee National Supreme Court Museum
This structure was built on the southeastern corner of Tahlequah town square in 1844 by James S. Pierce to house the Cherokee National Supreme Court. Justice John Martin was the first chief justice of the Supreme Court when it was established. The Supreme and District courts both held sessions here for some time. The building also housed the printing press of The Cherokee Advocate, the official publication of Cherokee Nation and the first newspaper in Indian Territory. It is the oldest government building still standing in the state of Oklahoma.
Enjoy exhibits covering the history of the Cherokee judicial system, the Cherokee written language and the evolution of Cherokee journalism.