Around 1842, Sequoyah left home to search for a band of Cherokees who moved south in the early 19th century. Sequoyah died on this journey, and in 1855, his widow, Sallie Guess, sold the property (including the cabin and a pile of logs allegedly hewn by Sequoyah himself) to George and Nancy Blair. That same year George used the pile of logs left by Sequoyah to add on to the existing cabin. The Blairs were among the many Cherokees forcefully removed to Indian Territory during the Trail of Tears. Although George died in 1887, the Blair family remained in possession of the property until 1936. The Blair family cemetery lies near the cabin, and nearly 60 members of the Blair family rest there.
Notable Oklahoma historian Dr. Grant Foreman visited the site in 1930, photographing the cabin and securing a statement regarding its history from George Blair’s son, Thomas. Thomas Blair’s daughter, Pearl Blair Matheson, and her son and daughter-in-law, Thomas Blair and Sue Jane Matheson, deeded the property to the state of Oklahoma for use as a memorial on Feb. 27, 1936. Former Oklahoma Governor Robert L. Williams, attorney and legislator W.W. Hastings, and Foreman together formed the Sequoyah Memorial Committee.